© Frances Janisch
Sautéed Salmon with Rhubarb Marmalade
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 1 pound rhubarb, stalks only, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Four 6-ounce salmon fillets with skin
- 4 ounces pea shoots or watercress
- In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, ginger, allspice and vanilla bean and seeds. Add the rhubarb; bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is jamlike, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Discard the vanilla bean.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until lightly browned, 8 minutes. Spoon the sauce onto plates, top with the salmon and pea shoots and serve.