- 1/4 pound applewood-smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch dice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 pounds radishes with their greens—radishes quartered lengthwise with some stem still attached, greens coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to the skillet and melt over moderately high heat. Add the radish greens, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Scrape the greens into a bowl.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in the skillet. Add the radishes, shallots and crisp bacon and cook over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until the radishes are golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add the sugar and cook for 2 minutes, until dissolved. Add the orange juice and boil, stirring a few times, until the radishes are barely tender and the sauce is lightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the radish greens, season with salt and pepper and serve.
F&W radish variations
- Sauté radishes in extra-virgin olive oil with drained and chopped anchovies and olives and minced fresh rosemary.
- Sauté radishes in vegetable oil with scallions, ginger and chiles; add a splash of Asian fish sauce and fresh lime juice.
- Sauté radishes in olive oil with chopped roasted poblanos and cilantro.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.