Sautéed Jumbo Shrimp with Passion Fruit Dressing
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Jumbo shrimp are a fine substitute for the beautiful, bright red Spanish shrimp chef Adolfo Muñoz adds to this salad.
- 6 ripe passion fruit, halved (see Note)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 baby carrots, peeled
- 8 asparagus spears
- 2 medium red bell peppers, quartered
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut through the core into eighths
- 8 shiitake mushroom caps, stems discarded (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 large Belgian endives, quartered lengthwise
- 8 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 3/4 pound)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Set a small strainer over a small bowl. Scrape the passion fruit seeds and pulp into the strainer. With a spoon, press on the passion fruit seeds to extract the juice; discard any stringy clumps attached to the seeds. Add the seeds to the passion fruit juice and stir in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the passion fruit dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet of boiling salted water, cook the baby carrots, asparagus spears and red bell peppers over moderately high heat until tender, 4 minutes for the asparagus and 10 minutes for the carrots and peppers. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Peel the red bell peppers. Add the fennel bulb to the skillet and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the fennel bulb to the baking sheet with the other vegetables. Pat the vegetables dry and discard the paper towels.
- Drain the skillet and wipe it dry. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in the skillet. Add the baby carrots, asparagus spears and fennel bulb, season the vegetables with salt and pepper and cook them over high heat until they are lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the vegetables back to the baking sheet. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the skillet and add the peeled red bell peppers. Season the peppers with salt and pepper and cook them over moderately high heat until they are lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side; transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the shiitake and endives. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven to keep the vegetables warm.
- Wipe out the skillet. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering. Add the jumbo shrimp, season them with salt and pepper and cook them over moderately high heat until they are golden brown and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the vegetables to shallow bowls and top with the shrimp. Drizzle the passion fruit dressing over the vegetables and serve.
The tart, fruity vinaigrette here makes a citrusy, acidic white a must. A perfect Spanish option is Albariño.