- 3 small baking potatoes (1 1/4 pounds), peeled and halved
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups mixed lettuces, such as arugula, mesclun and sunflower sprouts
- 12 pitted black olives, chopped
- 6 anchovies, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Red wine vinegar, for drizzling
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a plate. Discard the broth, or strain and reserve for making soup later.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the leek and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the potatoes and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until golden and crisp, 2 minutes per side.
Arrange the lettuces on plates. Using your hands, break the potatoes into large chunks and arrange them on top of the lettuces. Scatter the leek, olives and anchovies on top. Season the salad with salt and pepper, drizzle with vinegar and olive oil and serve.
The boiled potatoes can be refrigerated overnight; return to room temperature before crisping.