- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces pepperoni, julienned
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 pounds collard greens, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
How to make this recipe
In a pot, heat the olive oil. Add the pepperoni, shallots and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the shallots are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the collard greens in large handfuls, stirring and letting each handful wilt slightly before adding more.
When all of the collards have wilted, add 1/4 cup of water and a generous pinch of salt. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the greens are crisp-tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
The cooked collard greens can be refrigerated overnight.