- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds carrots (about 16), cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram, or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a medium nonstick frying pan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat. Add the garlic, carrots, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, and the dried marjoram, if using. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan. Raise the heat to moderate and cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots are very tender and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes longer.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, the lemon juice, and the fresh marjoram, if using.
Contributed By Photo © Sara Forte Published October 2014