- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Two 1 1/2 pound Savoy cabbages, shredded 1/3 inch thick
- 1 cup Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium broth, skimmed of fat
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, trimmed of all visible fat, cut into 1/3 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
How to make this recipe
Melt the butter in an enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the carrots and onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the onion is lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the cabbage, stock and sugar, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring, until tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover, raise the heat to high and cook, stirring, until most of liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the prosciutto, parsley and thyme, cook for 1 more minute and serve.
One Serving Calories 118 kcal, Cholesterol 15 mg, Total Fat 3.7 gm, Saturated Fat 1.4 gm.