- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium red onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 pound carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 5 pounds green cabbage, cored and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
How to make this recipe
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and turmeric and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are fragrant and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots to the casserole along with 1/2 cup of water and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the carrots are just starting to soften, 7 minutes. Stir in the cabbage in large handfuls, letting each batch wilt slightly before adding more. When all of the cabbage has been added, cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and serve.
The cooked cabbage can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat gently before serving.