Sausages with Grilled-Onion Chowchow
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chowchow is a sweet-and-sour relish. The chowchow here is studded with pieces of charred and crunchy onions, which have a smoky flavor that's delicious with grilled sausage. The chowchow is perfect with all types of grilled meat or poultry or as a hot dog relish.
- 2 sweet onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 jalapeños
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds mixed sausages (see Note)
- Light a grill. Skewer each onion slice with a toothpick. Thread the jalapeños on a skewer. Brush the onions and jalapeños with olive oil and grill over a hot fire until charred but still slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the toothpicks and skewer. Coarsely chop the onions. Peel and chop the jalapeños.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cider vinegar with the light brown sugar, grainy and Dijon mustards, caraway seeds and turmeric and bring to a simmer. Add the onions and jalapeños and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 12 minutes. Stir the cornstarch mixture, add it to the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the sausages over a medium-high fire until golden and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the sausages with the grilled-onion chowchow.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.