Sausages with Grapes
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
After sampling several varieties of red wine in this recipe, F&W's test kitchen supervisor Marcia Kiesel discovered that a tannic red like a young Syrah tasted best with these plump sausages, cooked with tangy balsamic vinegar and tart grapes. Just don't use lean sausages; you want a little fat to help soften the tannins in both the wine and the grapes.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds breakfast sausages or sweet Italian pork sausages
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 pound red and green seedless grapes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the sausages and cook them over moderately high heat until they are browned on 2 sides, about 4 minutes. Cover and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until the sausages are no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add the water, garlic and rosemary and cook over low heat, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom, until the garlic softens, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and the grapes and cook over moderate heat, stirring until the grape skins start to split, 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to plates and serve with crusty bread.