- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 sweet Italian sausages (1 1/2 pounds), pricked
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound roasted red peppers, cut into strips (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, with their liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Orzo or crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the sausages and cook over moderate heat, turning, until browned all over and nearly cooked through, about 12 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Add the garlic and crushed red pepper to the skillet and cook until the garlic is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in the roasted red peppers and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas with their liquid, the oregano and the sausages, along with any accumulated juices, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer; cover and simmer over low heat until the sausages are cooked through, about 7 minutes.
Stir the arugula into the skillet and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the sausage and peperonata to a large serving bowl and serve with orzo or crusty bread.
Pair with a robust, blackberry-rich Primitivo like Feudo Monaci.