Sausage, Bread and Chicken Liver Spiedini
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon juniper berries, crushed
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 sweet Italian sausages
- 1 loaf crusty peasant bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- About 36 small fresh bay leaves
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the oil with the wine, garlic, rosemary, juniper berries and chicken livers. Season with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Drain, reserving the marinade.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan of boiling water, cook the sausages over high heat until cooked through, 10 minutes; let cool slightly. Cut each sausage into thirds.
- Light a grill. On six 14-inch long skewers, alternately thread the sausages, bread and livers very loosely, placing a bay leaf between each piece. Be sure to leave a tiny bit of space between each piece for even cooking.
- Brush the skewers with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and some of the marinade and grill over moderately low heat, turning frequently, until the chicken livers are cooked and the bread cubes and sausages are lightly charred, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plates and serve.
Pair this dish with a full-bodied Chianti Classico.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.