- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 10 CUPS
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage, removed from the casings and crumbled
- 9 cups cubed (1 inch) day-old Italian bread (about 1 large loaf)
- 36 pitted prunes, coarsely chopped (about 10 ounces)
- 3 medium Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups reserved turkey stock (from Roasted Turkey with Sausage-Apple Stuffing)
- Preheat the oven to 425° and generously butter 2 medium baking dishes that are at least 2 inches deep. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the celery and onions and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, just until it loses its pink color, about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with the prunes, apples, parsley and sage. Add the sausage mixture and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the eggs and reserved turkey stock and mix well. Divide the stuffing between the prepared baking dishes. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about 10 minutes longer, or until heated through and browned on top. Let cool slightly before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.