- 4 hoagie rolls, split
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausages
- 3 fennel bulbs—halved, cored and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups jarred marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Basil leaves, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the broiler. Place the rolls cut side up on a baking sheet. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the sausages and fennel and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the fennel is deep golden and the sausage is cooked through, 15 minutes.
- Mound the mixture on the bottom halves of the rolls, then top with the marinara and mozzarella. Broil 6 inches from the heat until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes. Top with basil leaves, close the sandwiches and serve.
Pair this dish with a fresh, mild Italian lager.