© Con Poulos
Sausage-and-Apple Stuffing Bites
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 24 mini muffins
Since stuffing is one of the most popular parts of a Thanksgiving meal, try doing it as fun little hors d'oeuvre bites.
Slideshow: Thanksgiving Hors d'Oeuvres
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 4 ounces white country bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease two 12-cup mini-muffin pans with cooking spray.
- On a baking sheet, toss the bread with 2 tablespoons of the oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 10 minutes, until toasted. Transfer the croutons to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and celery and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, garlic and sage and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until no trace of pink remains, 5 minutes. Mix the sausage, apple, eggs and broth into the croutons; season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pack the stuffing into the muffin cups and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a rack and let stand for 5 minutes. Loosen the muffins with a sharp paring knife and lift them out. Serve warm.
Make AheadThe muffins can be refrigerated overnight in the pans. Rewarm before serving.