- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thickly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green part only
- 1 large hot red chile, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 1/4 cups dry, fruity white wine
- 1 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- Crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large deep skillet, heat the extra-virgin olive oil until shimmering. Add the shiitake mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the scallions and chile and cook for 2 minutes, until just softened.
Add the clams and wine and cook uncovered, stirring, until half of the clams are opened, about 4 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until all of the clams are open and the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 4 minutes longer. Serve in deep bowls with crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
The bright, focused acidity of an Albariño from Rías Baixas is a natural with shellfish.