- 4 salt-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed
- 3 cups lightly packed parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed mint leaves
- 1/2 cup lightly packed tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1 medium shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
In a bowl, cover the anchovies and capers with cold water and let stand for 45 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil and salt and pulse until finely chopped. Drizzle in the olive oil and process until a smooth sauce forms. Season with salt.
The sauce can be refrigerated overnight with plastic wrap pressed directly on the surface. Serve at room temperature.
Sardines packed in olive oil and crackers, grilled or poached fish, or smashed and fried potatoes.
Citrus- and herb-inflected Spanish white: 2014 Rafael Palacios Louro do Bolo Valdeorras Godello.