- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 cucumber—halved, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3/4 pound cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 12 Calamata olives, pitted
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 pound Greek or French feta cheese, cut horizontally into 4 slabs
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice with the shallots, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon of the oregano; season with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp, toss well and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber with the tomatoes, green and yellow bell peppers, olives, lemon zest and the remaining 1 tablespoon of chopped oregano. Season the salad with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan. Thread the shrimp onto 4 skewers and grill over moderate heat, turning once, until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Mound the salad on plates and top with the feta. Drizzle each salad with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Serve the shrimp on the side.
A bright Sauvignon Blanc with herbal hints, good citrusy acidity and no oak will complement the raw vegetables and tame the salty feta.