- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Matt Molina and his friends had ultrafresh shrimp in the town of Cesenatico on the Adriatic coast. His recipe here re-creates the dish. Roasting the shrimp in hot salt concentrates their sweet flavor.
- 4 cups kosher salt (2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 pounds unshelled large shrimp, preferably head-on
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Pour the salt into a large ovenproof skillet and heat in the oven for 15 minutes, until very hot.
- Arrange the shrimp in a single layer in a deep metal baking pan. Pour the hot salt over the shrimp, covering them completely. Roast the shrimp for 5 minutes, until just cooked through. Rinse the shrimp briefly under hot water and pat dry. Serve immediately with olive oil for dipping.
The floral, medium-bodied Orvietos of Umbria, made primarily from Grechetto and Trebbiano grapes, are great partners for shellfish.