Salt-Baked Yukon Golds with Three Seasoned Butters
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Michael Mina bakes these potatoes in a bed of salt so they'll cook more evenly and come out moist and tender. Then he serves them with three flavored butters—scallion, mustard and horseradish—as a homey version of the exquisite tasting trios he prepares at his eponymous restaurant.
- About 4 1/2 pounds kosher salt
- 10 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced, dark green parts cut into 1-inch lengths
- 3 sticks (3/4 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- Table salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons drained prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread a layer of kosher salt 1/2 inch thick in a large, deep roasting pan. Nestle the potatoes in the salt and cover with the remaining salt. Bake in the center of the oven for about 1 1/4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan of boiling water cook the dark green scallion until softened and bright green, about 20 seconds. Drain and rinse the scallion greens in cold water, transfer to a mini food processor and finely chop. Add 1 stick of the butter and pulse until combined. Add the white and light green sliced scallion and a pinch each of table salt and pepper and pulse until incorporated. Scrape the butter into a ramekin and refrigerate until firm or keep at room temperature.
- Wipe out the food processor. Add another stick of butter, the grainy mustard, Dijon mustard and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pulse just until blended. Scrape the butter into a ramekin and refrigerate until firm or keep at room temperature. Repeat with the remaining stick of butter, the horseradish, lemon juice and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- When the potatoes are done, carefully brush off the salt and transfer them to a platter. Serve the potatoes with the flavored butters.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.