- 10 tomatillos (about 1 1/4 pounds)husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1 lightly packed cup cilantro sprigs
- 1 serrano chile, quartered
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a blender, combine the tomatillos, cilantro, serrano, onion and garlic and puree until smooth. In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the salsa, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
The salsa can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.