- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped epazote or 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Fine sea salt
How to make this recipe
Combine all the ingredients except the salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderate heat until the onion is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and coarsely mash the salsa with a potato masher. Let cool completely, season with salt and serve.
The salsa can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.