- 8 large ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 small dried red chile, stemmed and most seeds discarded
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the cider vinegar and bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Working in batches, puree the sauce in a blender. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the vinegar.
The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.