Salsa Negra with Chipotle
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 1 cup
Balsamic vinegar might seem like an unusual ingredient in stews and tacos.
More Salsa Recipes
- 3/4 cup chipotles in adobo sauce (from a 7-ounce can), stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon molasses, preferably unsulfured
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a blender, combine the chipotle chiles with the molasses, balsamic vinegar, dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the water. Blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Strain the sweet chipotle puree through a fine strainer into a small saucepan, pressing on the solids with a spatula to extract as much of the puree as possible.
- Simmer the chipotle sauce over moderately low heat, stirring frequently with a heatproof rubber spatula, until it is very thick, pasty and reduced to 3/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Remove the salsa from the heat. Stir in the soy sauce and remaining 1/4 cup of water. Serve the salsa negra hot or at room temperature.