- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3/4 ounces chiles de árbol, stemmed
- 3/4 ounces guajillo chiles (about 3)—stemmed, seeded and cut into pieces
- 10 black garlic cloves, peeled and minced (see Note)
- 10 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon piloncillo (raw Mexican sugar) or packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, combine the oil and the chiles and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and the chiles are browned in spots, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in both garlics along with the vinegar, sugar, cumin and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and let cool.
Transfer the chile mixture to a blender and pulse until a coarse paste forms. Season with salt.
The salsa negra can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Black garlic is available at Trader Joe’s markets and from obisone.com.
Grilled chicken legs or steak.