Salmon with Scotch Bonnet-Herb Sauce and Onion Toasts
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Six 6-to-7-ounce center-cut salmon fillets with skin
- 3/4 cup Riesling
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 small Scotch bonnet chile, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Twelve 3/4-inch slices of sourdough baguette, lightly toasted
- In a large glass baking dish, blend 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the mustard. Add the salmon fillets, turn to coat and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 500°. In a small saucepan, boil the Riesling over moderately high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with 6 tablespoons of the olive oil. Whisk in the wine reduction, chives, basil, cilantro and Scotch bonnet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened and starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Place the baguette toasts on a baking sheet and top with the onion. Bake in the upper third of the oven for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, in each of two medium skillets, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmering. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and add 3 fillets to each skillet, skin side down. Cook over high heat until the skin is browned and crisp, about 4 minutes. Turn the fillets and cook over moderately high heat until an even pink throughout, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon the chile-herb sauce onto plates. Top with the salmon fillets and serve with the onion toasts.
The elegant fruit in a Riesling can highlight the equally refined hint of fruit in the Scotch bonnet sauce here. But the sauce isn't just fruity, it's spicy. A bottling from the Rheingau area of Germany offers a bit of sweetness to cool the heat.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.