- 24 baby or 12 small golden or red beets or a combination of golden and red
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped arugula leaves (from a medium bunch)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 6-ounce salmon fillets, with skin
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the beets, vinegar, soy sauce, stock and 1/3 cup of the oil. Bring to a simmer. Cover and braise in the oven for about 1 hour, or until the beets are tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Peel the beets, cut them in wedges and return them to the braising liquid; keep warm. Leave the oven on.
- In a small saucepan, bring the wine to a boil. Add the cream and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and stir in the arugula. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and sear, skin side down, over high heat until the skin is crisp, about 1 minute. Turn carefully and sear 1 minute. Transfer to the oven and roast the salmon for about 3 minutes, or until medium rare and still bright pink in the center. Transfer to plates and spoon the arugula cream on top. Serve the beets alongside, drizzled with a little of their cooking liquid.