- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole white peppercorns
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped dill
- 2 cups chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons aquavit
- One 2-pound, center-cut, skin-on wild salmon fillet, pin bones removed
- Bagels and cream cheese, blini or scrambled eggs, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a spice grinder, combine the cumin seeds and white peppercorns and pulse until finely ground. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the salt, both sugars, dill, parsley, crushed red pepper, lemon zest and aquavit. Mix well.
Place the salmon in a glass or ceramic dish, skin side down. Spread the herb paste evenly over the fillet. Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the fish feels firm and looks cured in the center, 2 to 3 days. The sides of the fillet will have the strongest flavor and driest texture.