Salmon Club Sandwiches
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, stems and seeds discarded
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure chile powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four skinless 4-ounce salmon fillets, halved crosswise
- 12 thin slices of whole wheat toast
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 4 large slices of beefsteak tomato
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened. Add the tamarind, garlic, chipotles, raisins, tomato paste, agave and chile powder. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat until thick, 20 minutes. Let cool, then puree in a blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set the salmon in a large, shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Coat with 1/2 cup of the sauce; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Light a grill and oil the grates. Grill the salmon over high heat, turning once and basting with another 1/2 cup of the sauce, until just cooked through, 4 minutes.
- For each club, use 3 slices of toast; spread each with 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise and layer with the arugula, tomato and fish.
Sweet agave syrup, made from agave plants, is available at health-food stores.
One Serving 662 cal, 28 gm fat, 3.7 gm sat fat, 48 gm carb, 7 gm fiber.
Tropical-fruited, rich Chardonnay from New Zealand.