Salad of Smoked Trout, Pink Grapefruit, and Radicchio with Walnuts
- SERVINGS: 6
Amazing Seafood Recipes
- 1 cup cubed firm-textured white bread (1/2 inch)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or walnut oil
- 1 large pink grapefruit
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound radicchio, 12 large outer leaves reserved, the rest cut into 1/4-inch strips
- One 3/4-pound whole smoked trout—skinned, boned and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (about 2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro), plus additional leaves for garnish
- 3 small scallions, white part only, thinly sliced crosswise
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, toss the bread cubes with the garlic and olive oil. Toast for about 7 minutes, or until golden.
- Using a sharp stainless steel knife, peel the grapefruit, removing all the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Set aside 6 sections; cut the remaining sections into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the heavy cream and sherry vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the radicchio strips with three quarters of the dressing. Add the smoked trout, walnuts, chopped coriander, scallions and the cut-up grapefruit sections. Season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- On each of 6 plates, arrange 2 radicchio leaves. Mound the salad in the center. Garnish with the croutons, coriander leaves and whole grapefruit sections. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve.
Try a Pinot Blanc from Alsace Pinot Blanc or a Viognier.