© Frances Janisch
- 2 pounds Manila clams or cockles, scrubbed
- 1 cup sake
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- Pinch of togarashi spice blend, optional (see Note)
- Fill a medium bowl with cold water and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Add the clams and let stand for 1 hour. Drain the clams and rinse them well.
- In a large, deep skillet, combine the sake with the water and bring to a boil. Add the Manila clams, cover the skillet tightly and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until most of the clams have opened, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon the clams and broth into 4 medium bowls. Top with the butter, garnish with the scallions and togarashi and serve at once.
NotesTogarashi is a Japanese blend of cayenne, sesame seeds and seaweed. It is available at Asian markets.