© David Prince
Saigon Crêpes with Shrimp, Bacon and Scallions
- SERVINGS: MAKES 6 CREPES
- 3 strips thickly sliced bacon
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of sugar
- One 13 1/2-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp—shelled, deveined, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 3 large scallions, thinly sliced
- Shallot Dipping Sauce
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels, then coarsely chop it.
- In a bowl, whisk the rice flour with the turmeric, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk in the coconut milk until smooth.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in an 8-inch nonstick skillet until it shimmers. Scatter one-sixth of the shrimp in the skillet, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat until pink, about 1 minute. Scatter one-sixth each of the scallions and bacon in the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter over the shrimp, scallions and bacon, spreading it evenly. Cook until the bottom is golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the crêpe and cook until golden and crisp on the second side, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate. Repeat to make 5 more crêpes. Serve the crêpes hot, with the dipping sauce on the side.