Saffron, Orange and Tomato Glaze
- SERVINGS: Makes about 1/2 cup
This mayonnaise-based glaze, flavored with orange zest, saffron and tomato paste, is delicious brushed on all kinds of fish, like halibut, mackerel or wild striped bass, before roasting or broiling. Thinned with freshly squeezed orange juice, it becomes a terrific sauce.
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the wine at medium power until hot, about 10 seconds. Crumble the saffron into the wine and let stand for 5 minutes. Fold in the mayonnaise, tomato paste and orange zest and season with salt and pepper.
Sauce variation: Stir in 1 tablespoon of fresh orange juice per 1/4 cup of glaze.