- 3/4 pound fingerling potatoes, cut into 1/3-inch-thick coins
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 1 small fennel bulb—tough outer layer discarded, bulb cored and finely diced
- 8 cups mixed baby greens, such as arugula and mesclun (8 ounces)
- In a medium skillet, combine the fingerling potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the garlic, saffron and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add 2 cups of water to cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Discard the garlic.
- In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes, tomatoes and diced fennel and toss. Add the mixed baby greens, season with salt and pepper and toss again. Serve right away.
The cooked potatoes can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.