- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled celery (2 to 3 ribs)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1/2 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded Best-Ever Roast Chicken (see Note) or rotisserie chicken
- Small dill sprigs, for garnish
How to make this recipe
Make the pickled celery In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, salt and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Let cool completely, then transfer to a medium bowl. Add the celery, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain before using.
Make the tartines In a large skillet or on a griddle, melt half of the butter. Add the bread and cook over moderate heat until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip the bread, add the remaining butter and cook until the bread is toasted, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a work surface.
Spread the yogurt on the toasts. Top with the sliced cucumber and season with salt. Top the tartines with the chicken and half of the drained pickled celery; reserve the remaining celery for another use. Garnish with small dill sprigs and serve right away.
The pickled celery can be refrigerated in the pickling liquid for up to 1 week.