- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped capers
- 2 teaspoons minced hot red chile
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Kosher salt
- 1 pint golden cherry or grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 light rye crisps, such as Wasa Crispbread
- Two 4 1/2-ounce cans sardines in olive oil—drained, deboned and broken into chunks (see Note)
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the capers, chile and 2 tablespoons each of the parsley and chives. Season the herb mayonnaise with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, toss the tomatoes with the olive oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons each of parsley and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the herb mayonnaise on the rye crisps and top with the tomatoes and sardines. Serve right away.
The herb mayonnaise can be refrigerated overnight.
If available, smoked sardines are delicious here, too.