- 10 ounces rye berries (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 3/4 cups chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 butternut squash—peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 allspice berries
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1 pound loose, uncooked garlic-pork sausage (removed from casings)
- 2 cups packed baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
How to make this recipe
- In a large, dry saucepan, toast the rye berries over moderate heat, stirring, until they start to pop and are lightly toasted, 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. In the same saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Add the toasted rye berries and 5 cups of the stock and season with salt. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over moderate heat until tender, 1 hour and 45 minutes. Drain and spread on a baking sheet to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the squash on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and white pepper. Add the cider, butter, allspice, and the remaining ¾ cup of stock. Roast for 1 hour, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated and the squash is tender. Discard the allspice. Transfer the squash to a large serving bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, orange juice and port and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the cranberries start to pop, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cranberries to a bowl. Continue to simmer the liquid until syrupy, about 10 minutes. Cool the syrup to room temperature, then stir in the cranberries.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook over moderately high heat, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly golden and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the sausage, rye berries, cranberries, arugula and tarragon to the bowl with the squash.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with the balsamic vinegar; season with salt. Toss the vinaigrette with the salad in the bowl and serve.
Rye berries are available from bobsredmill.com.
Pair with light sour beer.