- 5 pounds rutabagas—quartered, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 3/4 cup warm heavy cream
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot, cover the rutabagas and potatoes with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Add a large pinch of salt and boil over moderately high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 50 minutes. Drain the rutabagas and potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Shake the pot over high heat for about 2 minutes to dry the rutabagas and potatoes. Mash with a potato masher, then mash in the milk, cream and butter until a coarse puree forms. Season the puree with salt and pepper and serve hot.
The recipe can be prepared up to 4 hours ahead.