- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 pound rutabaga, peeled and shredded on the large holes of a box grater (5 cups)
- 1 pound Savoy cabbage, cored and shredded (10 cups)
How to make this recipe
In a large nonstick skillet, combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil with all of the seeds and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until golden and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Spread the seeds on a paper towel-lined plate, season with salt and pepper and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the shallot, garlic, mustard, chives and vinegar. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the buttermilk and the remaining 3/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the shredded rutabaga and cabbage and toss to coat. Transfer to a platter and top with the toasted seeds.
The slaw can be made 3 hours ahead and topped with the seed mixture right before serving.