Russian Tuna and Potato Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
High-quality ingredients make all the difference in Teresa Barrenechea's simple salad; imported Italian canned tuna adds extra flavor, as does a freshly roasted pepper, and you can make your own mayonnaise, if you prefer. This salad is very popular with Barrenechea's children.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 large carrot, halved
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- One 6-ounce can Italian tuna packed in olive oil, drained
- 1/3 cup green olives, pitted and quartered
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Roast the bell pepper over a gas flame or under the broiler until charred all over. Transfer the pepper to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 20 minutes. Peel the pepper, discarding the seeds and core. Finely chop the pepper.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes and carrot in a saucepan of cold water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately low heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes and carrot into 1-inch chunks and transfer to a bowl. Add the roasted pepper, eggs, tuna and olives. Fold in the mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.