- One 2-inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 2 allspice berries
- 4 pink peppercorns
- 2 pinches of ground clove
- 16 ounces aged Nicaraguan rum, preferably 7-year-old
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 Madagascar vanilla bean, split
- 1/2 ounce Rich Simple Syrup
- 8 ounces Cognac, preferably Pierre Ferrand 184
- 4 ounces fortified Muscat aperitif wine, preferably Barsol Perfecto Amor Moscato
- 16 ounces chilled strong-brewed Earl Grey tea
- 8 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces Rich Simple Syrup
How to make this recipe
In a spice grinder, combine the cinnamon stick, allspice, peppercorns and ground cloves and coarsely grind.
In a small skillet, toast the spices over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a large jar and stir in the rum, ground ginger, orange zest, vanilla and 1/2 ounce Rich Simple Syrup. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 6 days; shake the jar once a day.
Strain the rum into a punch bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients except ice. Refrigerate until chilled, 2 hours.
To serve, fill a shaker with ice. Working in batches, stir the punch, ladle into the shaker and shake well. Strain into chilled rocks glasses.