Ruby-Red Cranberry Syrup
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN plus 12 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: 3 cups
Pour this pretty, sweet-tart syrup over cheesecake, pancakes, whipped ricotta or baked meringue, or stir it into a cocktail.
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen cranberries (8 cups), chopped
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, water and salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is bright red, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Strain the syrup through a fine sieve set over a heatproof bowl, without pressing; reserve the solids for another use. Stir in the lemon juice. Let the syrup cool completely, then funnel it into glass bottles and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Shake before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.