Rotelle with Caramelized Radicchio and Corn
- SERVINGS: 4
Rotelle is the preferred pasta for this simple main course, because the sweet sautéed radicchio and corn kernels get cradled inside the wagon-wheel shapes.
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (1 to 2 ears)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large head of radicchio, coarsely chopped (4 packed cups)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound rotelle or fusilli
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese, plus more for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Put the corn in a small sieve and blanch it in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain the corn and transfer it to a small bowl. Keep the pot of water at a simmer.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the shallots and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the corn and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.Add the radicchio and cook over low heat, stirring, until tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Bring the water in the pot back to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring, until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and drain the rotelle. Return the rotelle to the pot and add the radicchio mixture, the reserved pasta cooking water, the butter and the 1/3 cup of Pecorino. Toss well and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pasta to shalllow bowls and serve, passing more Pecorino at the table.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.