Rosemary-Pepper Beef Rib Roast with Porcini Jus
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS Plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 12 to 14
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 6-rib standing beef rib roast (14 to 15 pounds), 1/2-inch fat cap left on the meat
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium shallot, very finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 quart beef stock or broth
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 ounce dried porcini (1 cup), ground to a powder in a spice grinder or blender
- In a small bowl, combine the rosemary with the 3 tablespoons of black pepper and the vegetable oil and rub all over the roast. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Put a large roasting pan in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375°. Let the rib roast stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Season the roast with salt and put it in the hot roasting pan, fat side down. Roast for 30 minutes. Turn the roast over and cook at 350° for about 3 hours, rotating the pan 2 or 3 times. The roast is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 130° for medium-rare. Transfer the roast to a carving board to rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the wine and boil for 2 minutes. Add the stock, vinegar and thyme and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 20 minutes. Strain the sauce and return it to the saucepan. Whisk in the porcini powder and simmer for 1 minute. Cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Carve the roast and serve with the porcini jus.
The porcini jus can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently.
Peppery California Cabernet Sauvignon.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.