- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium Spanish onions—1 thinly sliced, 2 cut into thin wedges attached at the root end
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds trimmed flank steak
- 2 pounds small unpeeled new potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the canola oil in a large nonreactive skillet. Add the sliced onion, garlic and shallots and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rosemary and cook for 1 minute. Add the red wine vinegar, cumin and cayenne pepper and let cool.
- Scrape the marinade into a large, sturdy resealable plastic bag. Add the flank steak and spread the marinade over it. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours, turning the bag twice.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, gently toss the potatoes, onion wedges, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables in a large nonstick roasting pan and roast for about 40 minutes, stirring once, until tender and browned.
- Light a grill or heat a large cast-iron grill pan. Scrape the marinade off the steak. Grill the steak over moderately high heat for about 15 minutes, turning once, until browned and medium-rare. Cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Thinly slice the steak across the grain and serve with the roast potatoes and onion wedges.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.