Root Vegetable, Pear and Chestnut Ragout
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
- 1 1/2 pounds celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 1/4 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 Bosc pears (1 1/2 pounds)peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 1/4 pounds baby golden beets (2 bunches), stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup roasted peeled chestnuts from a jar (vacuum-packed)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the celery root and boil until tender, about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a large baking sheet. Add the turnips to the pot and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with the pears, cooking them for 2 minutes and transferring them to the baking sheet. Add the beets to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain the beets and transfer to a large plate. Let cool slightly, then peel and quarter the beets.
- Return the pot to the stove. Add the olive oil, and when it's hot, add the garlic, shallot and thyme and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the stock and boil over high heat until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Add the celery root, turnips and pears, cover and cook over moderately high heat, folding gently a few times with a heatproof rubber spatula, until heated through. Add the beets and chestnuts and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Gently stir in the butter, transfer the ragout to a bowl and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.