- SERVINGS: 4 Servings
Rooibus chai leaves, which are grown in South Africa, resemble tea leaves but come from a different plant and don't have any tannins. They have recently made an appearance on store shelves here. You can substitute black tea in this recipe; add it during the last 5 minutes of simmering.
- 4 cups water
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 quarter-size slices of fresh ginger, lightly smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons loose rooibus tea
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pale rust colored, about 20 minutes. Strain the chai through a fine sieve and serve hot.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.