Rooibos-Raspberry Iced Tea with Vanilla
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HR
- SERVINGS: makes about 2 1/2 quarts
- Basic Simple Syrup
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 8 cups cold water
- 8 rooibos tea bags
- 1 cup thawed, unsweetened frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Prepare the Basic Simple Syrup as directed, adding the vanilla seeds and bean before bringing it to a boil. Remove from the heat and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain the syrup into a large measuring cup.
- In a large saucepan, bring the cold water to boil. Remove from the heat, add the tea bags and let steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.
- In a blender, puree the berries. Strain the puree into a large pitcher. Add the tea, raspberry juice and lemon juice. Stir in 1/2 cup of the vanilla syrup, or more to taste; refrigerate the remaining vanilla syrup for a later use. Serve in tall glasses over ice.
Make AheadThe iced tea can be refrigerated in a covered pitcher for up to 2 days.