Romaine Salad with Flash-Pickled Figs
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 8 fresh figs, quartered lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large heads of romaine (from one 22-ounce package), cut into thin ribbons
- In a medium bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of the white wine vinegar with 3 tablespoons of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the figs and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour (or refrigerate for up to 4 hours). Drain the figs, reserving the pickling liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk the reserved pickling liquid with the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar and the Dijon mustard. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the romaine and figs and toss to coat. Serve right away.
Make Ahead The drained figs and dressing can be refrigerated separately overnight.