Roasted Winter Squash with Herbs and Garlic
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
With patches of man-size pumpkins and green gourds hanging from trellises at Hudson Ranch and Vineyards, some kind of squash dish is a requirement at Thanksgiving dinner. This simple gratin features cubes of melt-in-your-mouth winter squash flavored with thyme and sage.
- 7 pounds winter squash, such as butternut—peeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, toss the squash cubes with the olive oil, garlic, sage and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Spread the squash in 2 large rectangular baking dishes about 1 1/2 inches deep. Bake in the upper third of the oven for about 1 1/2 hours, until the squash is tender and browned around the edges. Let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.